Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A finish and more


I finally finished the machine quilting and binding of a baby boy quilt for a good friend of my DILs'.


They wanted a neutral look with grays.


I used my trusty old Yellow Brick Road pattern circa 2000 for this fat quarter quilt.  I used six fat quarters plus the border fabric.


I added the golds after finding the focus fabric with the deer and aspen trunks.  The backing is Bunny Hill fabric.


I added some curvy lines in the quilting after discovering that I could use this decorative stitch on my new Bernina with the walking foot.  I really like how this quilt turned out as it isn't in my usual color range.  I hope it helps keep Sampson warm.


I also made my 14 red star blocks from October's Saturday sampler.  They are 5 1/2 inch blocks.  Can't wait to see how this all goes together.  The fabric for every star was a different red.  The background for every block is a different tone on tone white.


I also put together two more Swoon blocks.  That makes six with six more to go.


I also hand stitched a bit on my Civil War Sampler Quilt in the background.  It too is almost reaching the half way mark.


This has been my leaders and enders project. I am using the cut off corners on the Swoon flying geese blocks.  I've been sewing them together and making windmill blocks.


Each Swoon block supplies enough trimmed off corners to make four pinwheel blocks.  I should have 48 of them when finished.  I hope that I come up with a good idea on how to use them.

If you should decide to make your own Swoon quilt, I highly recommend not using directional fabric, ie., the stripe above.  Each block takes two fat quarters and the cutting is tight.  Look closely at the stripped block and you will see that I simply did my best.

No comments: