My granddaughter, Opal, celebrated her birthday this month. I decided she was now old enough for a bed quilt. I call this the "waste not" quilt. I put it together with a jelly roll and a charm pack of fabric by Brenda Riddle. Each block has a charm pack square in the middle with two jelly roll strips for the star points and background. Seriously, it was so much fun to put these blocks together. I had enough white for the background. That skinny border between the white was made from the leftovers from the half square triangles used in each block.
I also used the leftover half square triangles and fabric to make a doll quilt for Opal's doll.
I included a nightgown made from an old nightgown of mine. This is a super easy way to create a doll gown with lots of lace and details.
I made a scrappy binding with the leftover pieces of the jellyroll and I had fat quarter of the gray from the same fabric line to for the tiny squares in the sashing. And then my frugal ways ended. I needed fabric for the backing for a pretty large quilt. I wanted it to be special. I wanted to use Brenda Riddle fabric. I called a few stores and found that her fabric was scarce. I finally found something that I felt was perfect but it cost me $12.99 a yard!!! When did that happen? I just had to congratulate myself on the "waste not" quilt top and pony up the money for several yards of fabric for the back. And then I neglected to take a photo of the back for posterity. Oh, well!
Quilt number two had been my summer project. I thought this pattern called "Feathers" by The Pattern Basket" would be perfect for my bird loving son, Ryan. Each of those bird blocks has 30 pieces. My goal was to make one a day. I made 30 different blocks. I used a jellyroll of fabric called "Sugar Pie" by Corey Loder and the background fabric is green scatter dots by Lori Holt. I sewed the top together and then hung it on my stairway banister for the rest of summer. After finishing Opal's quilt, I knew it was time to finish this one up as well. It does have a bit of autumn in it.
Once again I was buying backing which was also a part of the "Sugar Pie" line. These practice blocks were placed on the back and I embroidered the names of my son's two birds, Tonka and Gemma. It was just happen stance that these colorful birds mimic the actual birds.
I really love this quilt of birds also with a scrappy border of leftover jellyroll pieces. However, one bird has a mistake I didn't notice until later!