Thursday, February 20, 2014

Olympic designs make me want to sew


As I've been watching the Winter Olympics in Sochi, I am mesmerized by all of the colorful patchwork inspired designs found in banners, backdrops, and number bibs worn by participants.  Just look at those ombre like bars of color.  Doesn't it make you want to pull out some fabric and sew?


I did pull out some fabric and started my own APQ "Tone it Down" quilt this week.  Directions are found in the February issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. This may take me some time but I'm enjoying the process.  I did find, however, that I prefer to make the nine 5 inch blocks first and then sew them together rather than make the strips as shown in the magazine that are then sewn together.  It just seems to stay more accurate and easy to match up this way.


So there you have it, 1/5 of the blocks completed!  I know that doesn't sound like much but isn't it cool how the pattern created by the chains is already appearing?


The Lori Holt Quilty Sew Along project for this week was these adorable houses.


I followed Amy Smart's idea of fussy cutting little figures for the doorways.


The wolf is at the door and Little Red is being cautious.


I received this button assortment as a cute little Valentine gift at a quilt store.  I included them in the picture because the colors coordinate abut also because they are titled the "welcome home assortment."


I also liked the use of "Bake Sale" fabric by Lori Holt for the roof as chosen by the Fat Quarter Shop so made that my choice as well.


Lori Holt showed all the participants how to put the left side of the sampler quilt together on her blog, so I sashed and sewed those pieces together as well.  That will be my sewing for this week as I'm off on a little adventure tomorrow morning.

No comments: