Saturday, February 8, 2014

American Girl sewing and knitting


When I'm in Arizona I sew on my 31 year old Bernina.  I know it is not the best for quilt piecing now that I have my Bernina 750, but I still love my old 830 for garment sewing including for the grandgirls' dolls.  I bought the kit for this dress and hat from Piper's Quilts & Comforts in Salt Lake City over a year ago.  It was a great pattern and went together easily.


The hat also went together well and had interfacing to give it shape.  My Kirsten doll is my model and I have taught my grandgirls that her hair will remain braided and in the original blue bows even if they don't match the outfit.


There is pleating on the back as well.  The back comes fully open making it easy for little fingers.  The kit came with buttons and button band instructions.  I chose to go the velcro way instead.  This outfit was for my Julianna.


On the drive down, I knitted the hat to go with the sweater dress I had just finished.


I think the hat is a bit big.  Good thing that Kirsten has those braids.


One of my goals for 2014 is to make each American Girl doll owner in the family a knitted outfit for their doll(s).


This one is for Heather and she is first because I fear that she may be outgrowing this phase of her life.  Sigh. . . . . . . . .


"Knits for Dolls" by Nicky Epstein, which I found at JoAnn's, was my inspiration.  Only five more outfits to go!

No comments: