Sunday, December 23, 2012

Big sister


Being the big sister has been a role I have enjoyed, mostly.  I love this Christmas card photo of Gary's and Velva's little family in 1958, left to right: Lynette, Janis, Laurel holding Becky, and lone brother Farrell.  Youngest sister Jolene would not arrive until the early part of 1960. We were a fifties family and they had them fast back then.  Farrell and I are 13 months apart in age and with those "L" names we were often asked if we were twins.  Lynette and Becky were 11 1/2 months apart.  I look at Lynette and think, "Why she is still just a baby, too."  But we all survived and continue to love one another.

Things about myself I notice in this picture:

-French braids which my mother put in my hair on Saturday night (very tightly) with the assumption that they would last a week.
-Bandaid on my knee which is a regular feature as I always had skinned up knees.
-Wart on the other knee and those warts were my childhood bane.  I still have scars where some were burned off.
-Clothes made by my mother who was at her Pfaff sewing machine almost daily.  I would sit on a little round stool next to her sewing table and watch her sew and ask lots of questions.

I love that people are still sending family pictures with their Christmas greetings.  Isn't that what Christmas is all about, celebrating the gift of the Savior with friends and family?

 

This is what I included in my Christmas Card this year, pictures of my family who are my treasure.


No comments: