Tuesday, February 3, 2009

3rd Day of Love

Christus Statue at the Tempe Square Visitors Center

I love Glen because he has a strong testimony of the validity of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. At the top of my list for reasons why I should marry Glen was his testimony of Jesus Christ and His mission. I felt that he would always lead his family in spiritual matters and that he would remain spiritually strong if and when things were hard. I knew that he would be my "rock" and that I could depend on him to help me "Choose the Right."

Not long before he asked me to marry him, he took me for a ride to the parking lot in front of the Provo Temple. He turned the car off then turned to me and asked, "What can you tell me about your relationship with the Savior?" I was a bit taken back at first, but then I paused and pondered. When I began to explain my thoughts and feelings about Jesus Christ and His influence in my life, Glen listened carefully and with great respect. I knew that he really wanted to know and understand how I felt. And then with humor he announced that I deserved a hot fudge brownie sundae, one of my favorites.

On December 17, 1974 he took me on a date to see the Salt Lake Temple Square Lights. As we entered the Visitor's Center, Glen led me up the circular ramp to the Christus Statue. We sat on the benches facing the Christus. He handed me a small gift. I carefully opened it. Much to his dismay, way to carefully. By the time I had opened the ring box, a tour group had appeared, so Glen asked me to marry him in front of a crowd. But most important, he wanted my memory of this event to be in front of this beautiful representation of the Savior.

No comments: