Thursday, February 12, 2009

12th Day of Love

I love Glen because he has never met a stranger. I did not love this quality at first. I felt embarrassed when he spoke to the waiter, sales clerk, teller, etc., as if they were his long lost friends. Now it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I try to emulate his ease with others, although I'm never quite so at ease as he.


You may be wondering why I am posting this picture of our house soon after we purchased it in 1991. I wanted you to see a before and after. It will soon all tie together. Glen had a vision for his home, much like he has a vision for most things he attempts. Those piles of dirt came from the backyard when the pool was dug.


This is our home today. He spent time mowing his grass and watering the many colorful plants before he left for work this morning. He looks forward to these tasks because he talks to EVERY early morning walker. Sometimes he talks them into following him into the backyard.

This is how it looked in 1991 when we first moved in. That's indoor/outdoor carpeting covering the dirt, not really share-worthy. Notice how the palm trees are only as tall as the fence.

This is how it looks today. He loves sharing our garden. Recently he noticed that two women, apparently a daughter and her elderly mother, were stopping to look as they passed by each morning. He invited them into his backyard. He sat with them at the table and had a good long conversation. When they left, he told them they were welcome to rest on the benches out front anytime.

There you have it. My short tale of the extrovert. And you will be pleased to know that the introvert has become more extro.

1 comment:

Nichelle Jensen said...

Every one of your posts is blowing me away because I feel like Nate really is Glen's son! These are all the EXACT reasons why I love Nate, and it amazes me to know how many great qualities they share:)