Friday, March 8, 2013

Showers and a shower gift


I sewed up an apron for a bridal shower next week.  I've used this pattern before and love it.  It has just three main pattern pieces; upper front with ties, lower skirt, and the neck strap.  The body of the apron is cut on the bias and it takes just one yard of fabric.  Of course, there is also the need for  9 yards of double fold bias tape (three packages.)

A couple of springs back I attended Spring Quilt Market in Salt Lake City.  Lori Holt introduced her fabric line Sew Cherry by Riley Blake at that time.  She also introduced an apron pattern using one yard of fabric.  I loved the fabric and the aprons, but did not purchase either.  During the last year I have picked up Sew Cherry fabric when I found it on clearance and I finally used some for this apron.


I also decided to make some matching pot holders with contrasting Sew Cherry fabric on one side. I also used this fabric to jazz up the pocket and and bib of the apron.


I cut 8 inch squares from fabric, Insul-Bright, and scrap pieces of Warm and Natural.  I then made a fabric sandwich with Warm and Natural being placed on the non-metallic side of the Insul-Bright.  I machine quilted with horizontal lines following the lines of the contrast fabric. I zigzagged and trimmed the edges then bound them with bias binding and included a loop for hanging. I had to purchase another package of brown bias binding for this project.


The pattern is from the book "A Is for Apron" which I purchased a few years ago.
 

It is called "Mango Madness."


The downside, and also the upside, is that all the patterns are included in the final pages of the book but they have to be enlarged.  I took "Mango Madness" to the local copy shop where they enlarged it 400% for me.  It was worth it because this has become my go to shower gift project.


Now for the showers.  We are enjoying a scudding cloud rain shower kind of day.  And I am so happy to report that the Meyer lemon tree has buds (glorious scents soon to follow.)


I know I have stated over and over now much I love my Meyer lemons.


The pomegranate tree began leafing out just a couple of days ago.


It's truly miraculous this Spring thing.


My geraniums are recovering well from their January hard freeze.  Life is good here in the desert.

No comments: