Sunday, August 5, 2012

Downton Abbey for Dummies


You've seen the series of books with yellow covers telling us dummies how to do things, right?  I just read The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes which is a fast read with beautiful illustrations for all us fans (dummies.)  I was on the library wait list for a really long time before it was my turn for this book.  Luckily my turn around time was only a day or two.

I really did find it interesting to learn how the series came to be, about the selection of the characters and setting, and fascinating tidbits about the actual production.  There was also a good bit about the history and characteristics of the time that was the end of the 1800's and the beginning of the 1900's.  Not only was there a World War with industrialized weaponry but also a shifting of attitudes concerning the rights of women, the working class, and the landed gentry.  Taxes on the titled and their estates really did necessitate marriages to wealthy American heiresses with fathers anxious for titles.  Thus we have Winston Churchill born of an American mother as were many others.

Shortly after finishing this book, Glen and I watched a program on PBS called Secrets of the Manor House I think all Downton Dummies would enjoy this program as well as it historically fleshes out the Downton Abbey story.

1 comment:

Cactusneedle said...

I watched the Manor House show and I agree, very good. Just waiting for Downton Abbey to come back on.