Wednesday, August 31, 2011

500th Post and blogging thoughts

This is my partner in crime this week while her parents are celebrating their 14th wedding anniversary in Hawaii. I wish you could hear her say "Hawaii." Unfortunately I fell down the last few stairs after putting her to bed tonight. Now my knee hurts, I can't sleep, and I've decided to raid my DIL's computer for a picture and to write what will be my 500th post on my little blog that was created for me by another DIL almost four years ago.


So, what are your thoughts on this whole social media phenomenon of Blogs and Facebook updates and Twitters? What are the positives? I can think of quite a few. It is a good "Place to Share." It does allow one to keep up on extended family and friends near and far. It sure beats the family letter that was supposed to move on from family to family but most often ended up in the "to do" pile.


BUT is all the immediacy necessarily good? Sometimes do our thoughts or comments or venting need some time to simmer before they hit the airwaves. Do some things need to be expressed one on one before they are released for public consumption? I will tell you that my wounded heart says that they do. Everyone, please take care as you share. Over and out.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

wow I bet you are havig a fun week with your grandkids. What a nicee grandma to keeep the kids so your son and wife can go relax. I really don't like all the things out there right now from titter to facebook. I feel like people lose control with these things and lose track of what is important. That is why i only do blogging because it is about my family geneology. I do not get wrapped up in all the media stuff I think it is to much. I know to many people that have been hurt by facebook. Sorry about the novel. good luck with everything

Nate said...

I agree mom. I'm constantly blocking or deleting people for that reason. Did you fall down the stairs because you were posting your facebook status saying, "I'm walking down the stairs" and missed your step?

Laurel said...

It took so long to do baths and stories and hugs and kisses that I found myself going downstairs in the dark while holding a laundry basket. I thought I had hit bottom shortly after which I found myself on my knees trying not to cry.

"Grandma, what was that noise?"

"I fell on the stairs."

"Okay."

I then called grandpa for some true sympathy.

Nichelle said...

i second the simmer good, spew bad. most people really should marinate (keeping with the food reference) in their thoughts at least a day before telling everyone they brushed their teeth or that their child took a nap. and the rest just really shouldn't post anything at all. i find it easier to maintain a relationship with my cousin if i block her on facebook and don't have to know how hard she partied last night. and yes like nate, i'm just having to block, hide, and avoid people's online public sharing more and more.

LaNell said...

Amen.