Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Playing hooky from Education Week

After day four of BYU Education Week and a visit to Home Depot for supplies, hubby and I made the decision to "play hooky" from day five. Our trips to Utah each August are not just to attend Education Week, but also to clear the debris away from summer family visits and prepare the townhouse for the school year and student tenants. We had procrastinated those chores, so decided to work hard in the morning before it became hot and then head to Thanksgiving Point for lunch and a movie instead of BYU for classes.

It was a good choice. We walked the gardens before having lunch at the Trellis Cafe followed by a viewing of the movie "The Help." We very much enjoyed the movie by the way. I am often disappointed when the movie based on a book I've read just doesn't match up to the timber and tone of the book. I thought "The Help" movie was spot on. I might have changed an actor or two who didn't match up, in my mind, to a book character but overall I found it to be worthy of the audience's applause at the end.

It was a beautiful summer day at the gardens complete with blue skies and glorious clouds. I couldn't help but to keep pushing the button on my camera. Enjoy!





It appears that you can rent the gardens for an event. They were setting up tables, chairs, lights, and there were catering vans out front.







Some of the biggest red blooms I have ever seen. I took this picture with the flowers below for contrast.













Can you believe that we still run into Utahans who don't know about this place or have never visited it?

1 comment:

larainydays said...

We wanted to visit but couldn't tear ourselves away from Ed week. Thanks for the tour.