Monday, August 29, 2011

My first hand appliqued quilt block


While in Utah I attended a basic hand applique class at Quilts, Etc. taught by Jeana Kimball. I didn't know it at the time, but Jeana is considered an expert on hand applique and has taught classes all over the country. Her work is beautiful and she also publishes books and has her own online store for needles and such.

My sister, Lynette, had stayed with her friend Annette a day before leaving for home back in July. She called and told me to cancel my class because Annette had just showed her the best method for doing applique. I wasn't sure when I would meet up with Annette again, so kept my class time and I'm so glad I did. Jeanna Kimball is the master of back basted applique, the method demonstrated to Lynette by Annette. (Don't you just love to say "Lynette by Annette?")

This is my practice block done with my odds and ends at Jeana's class. I took the class because I had fallen in love with "Cherry Tweet" a quilt designed by Cori Blunt of Chitter Chatter Designs back in February. It had lots of red and crisp white. I love red and crisp white. To make this quilt, I needed to know how to applique. I just finished my first block for that quilt. I'm pretty excited to have overcome my "applique mental block." Here is hoping that I can complete Cori's quilt by the time I die :)



4 comments:

larainydays said...

I love the cherry quilt and your block looks very professional. You'll have to teach me the technique.

Vagabond Mother said...

That quilt is gorgeous- would you make it for your own bed? I really love it.

Nichelle said...

such a good job on the applique! i am so sad i've had to abandon my quilts lately.

lobunker said...

if i had known jenna kimball was teaching the class I would never have told you to cancel-yeah annette and her are great buds