Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Some weeks are more challenging

This week has been a busy reminder of how life is when you are responsible for a growing family. It has also been a reminder of the rewards that come when one can view life through a child's lens of perspective.

The day before the commencement of parenting duties, I was running my sewing machine on high speed trying to finish a quilting project for other grandchildren. At about nine at night, there was a not so good noise and all tension was lost. It was a good reminder that all of us as well as our sewing machines need a little loving care once in a while. I packed the machine up for a trip to the "sewing machine hospital," as I explained it to Julianna.

The goal was to have this project finished (more to come later) before leaving for California for Labor Day weekend. Bernina Southwest is so good to their customers and they had my machine ready for me in a day. My Bernina and I have followed them around the East Valley over the years as they have followed the growth from location to location.

It became a week of missteps; hard to hear news from an adult child, sick sewing machine, a true misstep and tumble on unfamiliar stairs, actual spilled milk in my purse covering everything, several of the hottest August days ever (really, soccer practice at 114 degrees), and the cancellation of California plans due to the sickness of our hosts and my misstep's hurting knee.

Thank goodness for a loving sister who always steps in to help when you need her. She was already planning to cover the weekend with the grand kids, but went into action early as I iced the knee. By the weekend, we were splitting up the kids.

Julianna spent the weekend with Becky. TJ also stayed there part of the time.

Toby still got to spend the weekend with grandpa even if he didn't get his promised trip to California. Heather worked with grandma in her sewing room making a little stuffed doll and various other things. Heather loves my sewing room. AND grandpa found an aquarium at Arizona Mills to make up for not being near the beach.

This morning the parents are back from what I hope was a very relaxing trip and a little R & R.

This morning I am enjoying my own R & R.

4 comments:

Avis La Fin said...

Wow, Laurel, you've had a time! I wish I were closer; how I'd love to have the opportunities that you have to spend time with grandkids!! Hope things look up!!
I'm enjoying your quilting references.

Cire said...

Thanks, mom - we did have a great time and so did the kids. Take care of yourself! Heather is very excited after all she learned sewing with you!

Susan said...

So sorry about the stairs :( They really can be treacherous, especially at night. I hope you're feeling better now.

Thank you so much for taking such good care of the kids and house. We were able to relax and have a wonderful time knowing we were leaving things in such capable hands!

sally said...

Sometimes so many difficult things happen at once. I hope all will heal soon, physical and emotional.
Sally