Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mayflower musings

My original intent was a post about how my children are descendants of Thomas Rogers, the Pilgrim through their father's line. Before publishing such information, I went back to the file of information that I had printed from familysearch.org. There were problems, such as a son being born before the father, etc. So internet sleuth that I am trying to become, I googled around for information on Sarah Rogers born in Plymouth in 1625. I soon found comments such as, "Every Rogers in New England claims to be a descendant of Thomas the Pilgrim." However, I did find one comment entry explaining that Thomas traveled on the Mayflower with his son, Joseph who was about 17 at the time. Thomas, who signed the Mayflower Compact, died the first winter and Joseph was taken into the home of Governor Bradford. In Bradford's diaries, he states that he is giving land to Joseph as well as funds to "his wife." This is well before Joseph's marriage to a "Hannah." If he was indeed married prior to Hannah (and some think that she was the step-mother of all of his children) Sarah Rogers fits into the time frame of 1620 Mayflower landing, "his wife" and Sarah's birth. Sarah ended up in the Newport, Rhode Island area and married Richard Knight in 1648. So, children, you "might" be related to Thomas the Pilgrim.
Happy Thanksgiving

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

I think it is possible for a lot of people to be related to Thomas, just because it is so far back. Just like Obama and Brad Pitt are cousins. . .

Thanks for sharing, Mom. I hope you had a relaxing day for the most part!