Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy "First Decade" TJ

Grandpa Glen found your name embossed in gold in Virginia. It graced the gate to the family cemetery of Thomas Jefferson at Monticello. It made Grandpa think of you, his special "TJ."

You surprised us all when you arrived 11 weeks early ten years ago. We were expecting a January baby. You were so little, but already so sweet and gentle. I taught school back then so I had to wait until Thanksgiving vacation to see you for the first time at Utah Valley Hospital. It was a bit scary to hold you with all your wires and tubes, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I flew to Utah with Nathan and Janae to help your parents celebrate your first birthday. You lived at Wymount near BYU with all the other BYU married students and their babies. I'm surprised that you did not have a permanent blue mouth after destroying your first birthday cake.

Last Sunday night we celebrated your birthday as an extended family. We all commented on the fact that you had indeed lived for a decade now and wondered aloud at the things which will come your way during the next decade. We love you TJ and we wish you, our oldest grandchild, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

T.J. was my first nephew and there was nothing more exciting (and scary, at first). You are getting so old and I love you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming to my party and I love you. Your the best grandma ever