Sunday, November 30, 2008

All pie eaters should turkey trot

Sally and Nichelle arose early on Thanksgiving morning to run the 39th annual Mesa Turkey Trot. Both finished the 10K run. Perhaps only they (and Sally's brother Matt) should have eaten pie on Thanksgiving night.

After a shower, Nichelle was all set to help me finish up the pies. Nan H. had shared her pie making secrets at an enrichment activity the week before. I attended as I have always found pies to be worrisome to make as opposed to, say, a pan of brownies. Nan inspired me. The night before I had made 2 appleberry pies and the crusts for 2 cream pies. All from scratch. I sliced every apple!

The next morning after stuffing 2 turkeys and making several dozen rolls, I cooked up the vanilla pudding base for the coconut and chocolate pies.



Honestly, they all looked good enough to eat. We put meringue on the cream pies.

After dinner, everyone (and there were 23 of us), let things set a bit and then drove to Eric's home for pie and BINGO. I added my pies to Susan's pumpkin and Andrew's pecan. Emilia and her mom, Deujima (who had just arrived from Brazil two days prior - what must she think of our gluttony), brought the beautiful and delicious fruit pizza and we all indulged, but only Sally and Nichelle had already used up the calories.

This is my public thank you to all of you for contributing to our Thanksgiving feast, from Nate's peeling of 10 lbs. of Idaho russets which Ryan smashed, to Janae and Eric digitally saving the memories (check out their blogs on my blog roll.) Sally's family (including Christy, Randy, and Matt) brought candied yams and green beans and did most the clean up. Christy and Randy helped with the final prep and turkey carving as well. Susan kept the table setting rolling as well as hosting us for the final pie hurrah. David brought in the needed extra seating and Grandpa Glen organized BINGO with prizes, most popular of which were the $2 bills. The grandkids and Vail provided the before, during, and after dinner entertainment. Oh, and Nichelle made sure we had flowers!

I am so thankful for all of you! You bring me my greatest joy!

2 comments:

j said...

Thank you Laurel for leting us sharing of your delicious meal and pies. the pies were so yummyyyy!!!! i loved the chocolate one! I had the best Thanksgiving ever: I was back to my arizonan family, I had my mom with me and we got together. There is nothing more to be thankful!! Thank you thank you ...

Vagabond Mother said...

Those pies looked beautiful and tasted great too. It was a great Thanksgiving!