Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Poem for Mother's Day

Homemade Noodles
Sarah Rebecca made
homemade noodles
Because it was the only way . . .
Everything from scratch!

Rhoda Ann copied her mother
and cooked them
In savory chicken broth
And served them hot
On a plate in a bowl
Made of mashed potatoes.

Velva Ruth remembered how
they warmed her insides,
After school
On cold, snowy Idaho afternoons
And made them from scratch . . .
For us!

And I watched with
little girl eyes,
My nose even with the table top,
A snowy white dish towel covering
A drying mound of homemade noodles.

Laurel Ann (that's me), makes
homemade noodles
Cooked in chicken broth
Served over "real" mashed potatoes
For special occasions . . .
like birthdays,
Not because they're cheap and filling
(which they are),
But because they're labor intensive
and time consuming
and take most the day.
They fill my family with love!


* Written in 1994, this poem is the only thing I've ever written which was published. It was included in the Mesa Public School's writing awards book for that year. I was working as an instructional aide at the time, so qualified to enter something in the contest. I joined Janae (twice) and Eric who had also won awards from MPS and been published. I originally wrote the poem as part of a writing class at ASU. I wanted to honor the mothers who came before me. The picture of Dave and I is also from about 1994.

6 comments:

Cire said...

Happy Mother's Day! Thanks for lots of yummy homemade meals! Oh, and David looks COOL :)

Vagabond Mother said...

I love how you laid this post out, it makes the poem. I was entered twice? How come I don't remember what the other time was?

I just emailed you your mystery gift that disappeared. I love you and thought of you today, thanks for all you've done for me.

Laurel said...

I remember 4th grade (grandpa and grandma dancing)and then sometime in high school. I think that was the essay about going to see Velva at her Alzhemier's home. Eric's essay was during his Poston years.

Susan said...

I still think the pairing of mashed potatoes and noodles is a little odd, but I love that there is so much history and tradition behind this meal. It makes eating the dish so much more interesting!

I hope you had a happy Mother's Day. Our family is grateful to have you as a mom, mother-in-law and grandma.

Christy/Mom said...

Laurel, What an amazing poem and legacy! Dave talks about your noodles all the time! I love all the family pics, and I saw those cute twirling skirts, too-of course, our grand daughters NEEDED them! Love those boys, too-

Christy

Unknown said...

Mom- I just wanted to let you know I read your blog and love it, just no more embarrassing pictures of me!! What's up with you and Sally and the flattering shots of me in all my glory??