Sunday, May 4, 2008

April Showers bring May Flowers - Blooms of the Week

There were no showers in April, no measurable rain whatsoever, just a light smattering of large drops which moved the dust around a bit. Which brings me to my point. All of these lovely blooms required hand watering. Please thank Emilia for bringing you these blooms today. She worked many hours during the day and then came to our home at night to hand water for us while we were in Utah. Many thanks Emilia!

This is a "down under" pot from Australia. I decided to plant one of those upside down tomato planters this year just to see if it did any better than right side up. I may take a picture of it one day. Glen found the "down under" pots in a catalog and decided to order a couple. This one did the best. That coleus has been at it awhile, sending it's leaves up the side of the pot. If you look closely, you will see that it also sent up a flower stalk.
This has been a week for white blooms. I bought a hollyhock plant from a nursery earlier this Spring. I did not expect white blooms, but they are white and highly ruffled and luscious.
These are the front yard hollyhocks once again making an appearance, for comparison's sake.
AND more white, a gardenia by the front bench. It makes a sit on this bench most heavenly.
Finally, a view of the garden. All those petunias are volunteers. I popped in some sweet peas advertised as perfect for hanging baskets. They were less than spectacular, but all that watering and fertilizing must have awoken seeds from petunias of the past. It's been kind of magical to watch and see what colors appeared.

As you can see, a little water placed in just the right spot, can go a long way!

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

Wow! Those hollyhocks don't even look like they are in the same family!

I love that 'down under' pot- how does that even work? It is really pretty.

I remember when those pots were full of petunias, what troopers! Looks like you can grow from seeds after all, :)

I hope you had a good Sunday. I will call you sometime this week. Hope Dad is feeling well, Andrew wanted to talk to him about health stuff. Love you!