Saturday, May 31, 2008

Iowans and Idahoans have a lot in common



I just finished a book which could have been written by my Aunt Elna, and maybe she could still write the Idaho version. The book is about living on an Iowa farm during the 1930's and the Great Depression. Surprisingly, there were several parts of the book that reminded me of my childhood on an Idaho farm during the 1950's. But most of all, I felt like I was sitting on a picnic table bench near Conant Creek listening to my aunts and uncles talk about their childhood. I picked on Aunt Elna because she has the best way of telling a story and doesn't leave out any details. This book will tell you how to kill and cook a chicken, best use and care for an outhouse, care for the livestock and chickens, and prepare food from the garden, all of which I experienced personally before being whisked away to Arizona at age 12. This may not sound all that interesting, but the author is a retired college professor of English and she knows how to put together a tale and does not leave out any of the details. If you want to know more check HERE.

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

I'd love to borrow your copy sometime.