Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Here comes the sun . . . flowers

We are breaking records again. A high pressure moved in and suddenly the sun seemed brighter and hotter, which it was because we hit out first day of triple digits this year on Sunday and then broke a record yesterday for the hottest May 19th EVER. My thermometer said 111 degrees, the weather service 110, a small quibble. But the pool was great, 82 degrees, and now I'm sore because I swam and swam. Did you know that we have these muscles in our back which hurt the next day after breast stroking for the first time in months? It's good that we have sunflowers blooming which can follow the sun in it's nice long track across the sky.
Dad planted sunflowers seeds awhile back and now he has these plump beauties in his new whiskey barrel planters out front.
We think that the birds planted this giant. It sprouted up in a big blue pot which I had planted in geraniums. It is over 12 feet high, is now leaning over the bamboo fence for the neighbors to see, and I counted over 20 blooms. We were expecting one of those giant sunflowers, more like a single bloom the size of a dinner plate, based on all the giant leaf action below. Life is full of surprises, especially since it was a volunteer in the first place!

More shots of dad's beauties out front.
I did throw these seeds in a pot after being inspired by the above mentioned volunteer.
Another nice, little delicate yellow volunteer. I often don't know just what might pot up in the garden - or in life. I hope all you Arizona people have not gone into a depression just thinking of all the triple digits in our near future.

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

I love how happy these flowers look! I hope they enjoyed the cooler temperatures this week after the heat wave, we did.