Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ping Pong Projects


I really do feel like a ping pong ball.  I've been working on several projects this month all at the same time.  I cut awhile, I sew awhile, and then I find something new and it all starts over again.  I have loved sewing along with the Lori Holt Quilty Fun Sampler.  I finished the trees.


The half square triangles. . .


and the scrappy four patches.


I went shopping for a 5 1/2 inch square ruler and found some great fat quarters that I just loved.  The next day there was a fun tutorial for making heart pillows and I knew why I needed those fat quarters.  The Riley Blake small heart fabric was left over from my American Girl Valentine jumper project last year.  Now I need to quilt then make the backs and bind my pillow covers.


I needed that 5 1/2 inch ruler so that I could trim my circles for my January Saturday Sampler blocks.  They will receive white corners after I finish the appliqued circle centers.  These have been time consuming.


I came across a blog telling about a Craftsy pattern of the month where the blocks for "The Farmer's Wife" were simplified.  The book and fabric I planned to use for the quilt have been on the shelf for years and I was happy for this option.  I downloaded the pattern and immediately had to do the cutting for the first 10 blocks.  By the end of the year, I hope to have the blocks for this quilt completed.


I've also been working on two baby boy cousin quilts.  These blocks are for my grandson's quilt. He will arrive in a month or so.


His cousin has been around for a couple of months and this is his quilt which I am machine quilting and binding today.  I hope to deliver it when I go to a baby shower for my soon to be born grandson tomorrow night.  You will notice that there are common elements in both quilts, just in a different color way.  Yes, once again I am using the "Yellow Brick Road" pattern.  It goes together easily, six fat quarters are totally used up in making the blocks, and the younger generation seems to like the modern fabric, colors, and feel of this quilt pattern.

There is one more quilt that I have been working on as well, but I'm keeping it a secret for now.  The blocks are in strips and I am waiting for some border fabric to arrive in the mail.  It is for me and it makes me feel young and happy.  Can't wait to share!


No comments: