Monday, February 27, 2012

Demise of the magazine

Glen's sister sent by mail an envelope full of snapshots of our family over the years. She is recently retired and is sorting and sharing. It included this picture of me perusing a magazine. I think it is a Better Homes and Garden. Time frame? That is baby David on my lap and it is during my permed hair phase. I'm pretty sure we are in JJ & Elma's Draper house. I'm thinking 1980.

So 30+ years later and Better Homes and Garden is still available for monthly delivery. I know that because over the last few years my favorite magazines have all disappeared after a notice from the publisher stating that the remainder of my subscription will be transferred to Better Homes and Garden. I had long ago decided to subscribe to my favorites instead of BH&G, but now I'm informed that BH&G will be my choice, my only choice until the money runs out, no refund offered.

And then this month, the final blow. My absolutely favorite magazine supporting my hobbies, Australian Smocking and Embroidery, will end with the 100th issue. I recently received issue 97 so just 3 more issues of beautiful pictures of models wearing hand smocked garments with included directions and full size patterns. Apparently there are not enough people smocking around the world subscribing and it is no longer cost effective. Sigh . . .

3 comments:

Betty Lou said...

That picture brought back so many memories, the plaid sofa, the macrame hanging planter, and the permed hair. oh, that permed hair, how did we all live through that? I just don't understand the magazine situation, when I am at the newsstand or Joann, there are so many NEW magazine that I have never heard of, yet the old favorites are saying goodby.

9gagfanatics said...

Awesome picture. Brings back my memories too!!

mercadolibre said...

Thank you for sharing this content, that is nice one…. I prefer it a lot and Hope other people might enjoy it also.