Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tomato Bar

I love my "tomato bar." Hum, which tomato shall I slice for my sandwich today? Unfortunately, June has brought very high temps, 108 today and 100 plus teens by Monday. My tomato days will soon be over. There are plans for these yummy beauties; salsa, homemade pizzas, pico de gallo, more BLTs. From left to right, there are eight different kinds.


I also have three volunteer tomato plants. They popped out of the ground on their own (my other plants are in containers) so I started watering them.

They have thrived! It will be interesting to see if they last longer than the container plants.

I decided to try making some sun dried tomatoes.

I cut some romas in half, scoped the seeds out, and sprinkled them with freshly milled salt and pepper.

I placed them outside in the sun during the day under a piece of cheese cloth for three days


and this is what was left. A colander full had shrunk down to half a pint jar. I'm going to store them dry and then place some in some olive oil with fresh herbs for a day before I use them in a recipe.

The yellow, red, and green bell peppers will soon be ready for grilling!