Saturday, March 29, 2008

New blooms for the last week of March

Very little happened this week until I decided to blog instead of go to bed. While my pictures were uploading, I heard a giant bang, checked out my window and saw nothing, and then a parade of firetrucks followed by a circling helicopter arrived in the neighborhood. I'm in my nightgown so have chosen not to venture outside to see for myself. Your father did not even stir one bit. He had a very busy day. He was up early helping with a ward roofing project, mowed his lawn and did a bunch of yard work, went with me to Phoenix, and then went to the office building to wash windows in preparation for sunscreens to be installed on Monday. While there, he also changed a bunch of outside light bulbs and worked on some carpeting in one space that had water damage. It was a full 12 hour day. He deserves to sleep soundly. I plan to join him soon. Back to the pictures. These new blooms were the most exciting thing going on around our house this week. This is a day lily and I hurriedly snapped it's picture because it will only last a day. It is well named.
The passion vine also began blooming this week. The butterflies love this plant.
I planted this as a one gallon plant last Spring. I was rewarded with only a cluster of three flowers all last year. As you can see, this trumpet vine is enjoying life a bit more this year.
We also had our first hibiscus blooms of 2008 this week
This bougianvilla bush has been covered with blooms for awhile. It was arching over the hibiscus bloom and I couldn't resist.

TJ, Heather, and Toby need to come and eat their peas raw while they are tiny and sweet. Maybe on Monday for FHE. I almost forgot to mention the best part of this afternoon. I had a short visit from Eveline and girls who had come to spend a couple of days at the end of their Spring break. They had been swimming at Eric's, but still looked beautiful. It was so good to see them again.

I guess the drama is over outside. All is quiet and the helicopter has disappeared. I hope that it was nothing serious. The boom was really LOUD! Goodnight.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, sounds like the excitement has moved to your neighborhood. Eric has been really disappointed with the lack of action here recently.

The flowers look gorgeous. We're going to be buying some new flower pots/flowers this week. What kinds of flowers should we plant? Glen usually recommends vinca. We need something that is hearty, so I can't kill it!

Laurel said...

Vinca will last the longest and actually live all summer. I've learned some tricks about plants in pots and keeping them moist. Let me know when you are ready to plant and I will share. I'm glad that your neighborhood has quieted down. Glen and I have used our minimal detective skills and our hypothesis is that it was probably the teenagers who live across the street from our outdoor fireplace who set off the big bang.

Vagabond Mother said...

We saw Jolene on Friday, so it must be the week for visits from New Mexico. That Day Lilly is really cool even if it is short lived. I'm going to try and call you this afternoon.