Thursday, March 29, 2012

Quiche times two

I am a master of yeast breads and cookies. I struggle with pie crust. I had a hankering for quiche, so while at Walmart I searched and searched for frozen pie crusts. Not finding any, I wandered over to the refrigerated bins and found a box claiming to hold two rolled out rolled up pie crusts. I was a bit skeptical, but decided it was my only option rather than trying once again on my own.

I must confess that on the way to checkout, I once again went down the freezer aisle where I finally noticed on the very bottom shelf a couple of frozen pie crusts, but I ventured on. I was intrigued by the box. It did indeed contain two individually wrapped pie crust rounds rolled out and ready to place in a pie plate. The pie dough was pliable and easy to work with. (I owe the beautifully crimped edge to my mother whom I watched over and over as she crimped her own pie crusts. Don't know why I didn't get the other part.) It made a fine spinach quiche with feta and cheddar.

The quiche tasted so good that a couple of nights later I used the other crust to make a broccoli one. (Note: Quiche tastes better when the veggies come from your garden :)

Will I buy this product again? You better believe it! Never again will I buy a frozen crust. Don't you just hate how the frozen edges break off or the frozen crust cracks in the middle. Do you think that I just have a pie crust phobia which could be conquered with practice? We'll probably never know because I think I will keep using this product.

Quiche the simple way:

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in frying pan. Add one small diced onion cooking until translucent. Add 2 finely diced garlic cloves cooking about 90 seconds. Add 2 cups chopped broccoli OR 2 cups tightly packed fresh spinach leaves rolled together and sliced in strips. Continue cooking until softened. Place vegetable mixture into pie crust lined pie pan.

Beat together 4 eggs. Add 1 1/2 cups milk or cream (or a mixture of milk and cream.) Add a tsp. of freshly ground pepper and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, feta or a mixture) to liquid. Pour over veggies. May add small amount of shredded cheese to top of quiche for color. Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until middle is set. (I baked at 350 degrees in my convection oven.)

Could you add bacon? Of course, if you have some. Or ham? Of course, especially after Easter dinner. Enjoy! And don't let making pie crust slow you down, just head on over to your local Walmart.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Mmm... I love quiche - It's our traditional breakfast on Christmas morning. Will have to look for this refrigerated crust!

LaNell said...

I am a bad neighbor. I beter have you over for a lesson in making a fail proof crust and amazing quiche filling with mayo!