Monday, January 2, 2012

Good works = food prep

Yesterday at church a young women gave a talk about "Good Works," one of the Young Women Values which she had chosen to address. As she spoke about the ways we serve others, I realized that most of the service I had rendered during the last month was food related. I had prepared and served food for several large gatherings, as a part of our family Christmas traditions, and as gifts for friends and neighbors. All that cooking and baking included dozens of rolls, dozens of doughnuts, dozens of cookies, 40 chimichangas, a Christmas ham dinner with all the trimmings, and 20 pizzas prepared on the grill and served with salad from the garden.

I started to do some number crunching in my head after church. That means:
* 50 lbs. of flour
* 12 lbs. of butter
* 6 dozen eggs
* 10 lbs. of sugar
* tablespoons of yeast
* several pounds of ham and beef roasts
* pepperoni and shredded mozzarella
* 40 large flour tortillas, two heads of shredded lettuce, a dozen diced tomatoes, salsa and guacamole, plus sour cream by lemon tree (do you recognize the melody?)

I've always felt that when I put on my apron I am putting on an apron of service. Good food shared brings us together and leads to good conversation and special times remembered. Bon appetit!

No comments: