Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Travel this summer by book

When the library notified me that the latest Erik Larson book, "In the Garden of the Beasts," was ready for pick up I also found myself wondering through the children's book section. I knew the Larson book would be very heavy reading (more about it in another post) and it might be nice to find something light. The former elementary school librarian in me wanders through the children's section frequently. I found two books that I had not read before. Both books took me traveling.

"The Moon at Night" is by Madeleine L'Engle and was published in 1963. It is a part of the Austin Family Chronicles. The time is 1959 and the Austin Family is taking a cross country camping trip before moving from Connecticut to New York City. It took me not only back in time to my own childhood but also took me to many places that I have visited in person, although not all on one long trip like the Austins.

The references to the Cold War, bomb shelters, world unrest, and civil defense were very easy to relate to for someone like myself who grew up during the same time period. The main character, Vicky, is fourteen and trying to figure out how so many hard things can happen to people.

I also enjoyed the descriptions of the places where the Austin family visited and camped, especially Mesa Verde National Park. My family took just such a trip in the 1960's. It was one of my most memorable family trips and I enjoyed reliving that trip vicariously. As the book progressed, I would think, why I've been there and there and there.

And then towards the end of the book, the biggest surprise and event to live through once again vicariously. The family visits Yellowstone National Park and then camps in Montana. While camping, the large earthquake of 1959 occurs. I was a child living in southeastern Idaho at the time who was rocked in her bed by that quake.

L'Engle and her real family, the Franklins, took just such a trip prior to the writing of this book. I also remember my teacher reading aloud "A Wrinkle in Time" by L'Engle (which was a Newbery Award winner) to our class in 1963.

"The Silver Pencil," by Alice Dalgliesh is also semi-autobiographical. It is the story of a young girl born in the West Indies. My daughter just returned from a year and a half on an island in the West Indies so that made it appealing for me. It was fun to read the descriptions of island living. Janet, the main character, eventually goes to school in England, returns to the island, and then as a young adult moves to New York to study to be a teacher and also becomes a writer. The book is descriptive not only of each location, but also of the people she meets and lives with in each country. This book was first published in 1944 and was a Newbery Honor Book.

Do you have a favorite "travel" book?

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Hi Laurel - I always wanted to be a librarian! I love, love, love reading books and will investigate the ones you've mentioned here. Right now I'm reading a book that takes place in the Badlands - which is serendipitous because hubby & I are headed to Mt. Rushmore in a couple days and will be driving right through there! LOL

BTW - when I first found your blog, I went back and read some of your older posts. You recommended Foxfarm products, and Tiger Bloom fertilizer in particular. I found a farm supply store nearby who sells it and I've been using it for a few weeks now. Our yard is extremely shady so I always plant a lot of impatiens - but they barely survived - let alone thrived and blossomed. I think that the Tiger Bloom is making a big difference this year and I'm so glad you 'told' me about it! Thanks!