Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice and a little green

Summer Solstice in Arizona signals the end of the vegetable garden as the heat stops fruit from setting and stresses plants. We have four seasons. They are just a bit out of whack with the rest of the country. If you are a low desert Arizona dweller, you must take most gardening articles in magazines and adapt accordingly!

Early this morning when I watered, I enjoyed so much the many different greens I saw as well as the great textures. Isn't this coleus just amazing? It is thriving.

We have three different types of sweet potato vines growing in our side yard planter.

They love our hot summers and will soon cover the planter down to the sidewalk.

Glen planted what I call "snake grass" next to the patio just off the family room. It has grown taller than I am. When an Idaho farm girl, I would pick it from along side the canal, pull it apart and reassemble into necklaces and bracelets.

The plumeria spends the colder months in the greenhouse and then comes out for a growth spurt.

Something new, white vining bougainvillea.

Trailing vinca which began in hanging baskets but trailed far enough to get a foothold in the planter below.

I love the rounded shape of this desert loving plant's leaves.

Draping ice plant, not quite a succulent but a very low water user.

The cat's claw vine is attempting to cover the house.

English ivy fills wall baskets.

The pomegranates are a lovely green now but will turn golden.


I know, we are not in Egypt, but the constant gardener is still growing papyrus.

I am growing basil. . . .

because then I can make pesto! YUM!

No comments: