Friday, June 17, 2011

Civil War quilt blocks, batch 3

I can't seem to stay away from the quilt blocks. Good thing that life is kind of quiet right now. There are not a lot of "have to dos" so that helps.

The above quilt block is my substitute for Block 3, Seven Sisters. It was an applique block so I kept skipping it. When my new fabric arrived, it included large print star fabric so I decided to use seven fussy cut stars and design my own block. It probably would have been easier to applique.

The fussy cut stars were on the bias and I could only get the star blocks a certain size before cutting into another star. Thus, the sashing using stripped fabric which turned out to be a good thing as it kept all the bias star blocks from stretching. I know that I will lose part of that cute flowered border when the quilt is put together. Oh well! But there are seven stars!

Block 4, Texas Tears and there is a reason that I kept skipping it. I could cry a few of my own tears. It turned out too big so I lost some points when cutting down the middle square and when I sew it into the quilt, I will lose some more. Perhaps some day I will try to make this one again, perhaps not.

Block 13, Little Blue Basket

Block 17, Comfort Quilt


Block 22, Blockade

Block 24, Ladies Aid Album

Tomorrow morning Block 25 will be posted. There are still five more catch up blocks. So hopefully a week from now I will have finished another batch of six and be all caught up - until I go on vacation that is.

1 comment:

Betty Lou said...

Enjoyed seeing your blocks, they are very nice. I just started on the Civil War quilt, will post some pictures of mine tomorrow. The next one I was going to try was Texas Tears, let you know how it goes. Looks difficult.