Thursday, June 9, 2011

Civil War quilt blocks

In an earlier post I shared a Civil War Quilt blog which was posting some history and a quilt block from the Civil War period each week of 2011, the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the War.

I soon found myself online looking for fabric. I found a sale of 12 fat quarters for $20 which arrived on Tuesday. I have been in my sewing room a bit since then making blocks. I love that I can take my ipad back to my sewing table and have each week's block and history as well as others helpful tutorials right in front of me.

This is Block #23, "Illinois Roads," which was posted Saturday. It looked simple and was a great place to start to build my confidence. Here is the tutorial that I found at Lillian's Cupboard.

This is my version of Block # 1, "Catch Me if You Can," which was posted on January 1, 2011.

Block #2 entitled "North Star."

I skipped to Block #6, "Richmond," because #3 involved applique and #4 and #5 would require more confidence. "Richmond" was still a bit of a challenge.

Block #7, "Log Cabin" was fun and I used 9 of my fat quarters trying to have enough lights and darks.

Block #8, "Cotton Boll," was also a bit of a challenge but I used my square ruler with angles to change my rectangles to elongated hexagons.

This is my first try at "a block of the month" or in this case "week" and I'm finding it enjoyable. It will be interesting to see how far my fat quarters go (I already needed to add a white to make "Richmond" pop.) It will also be interesting to see if I have what it takes to make all 52!

1 comment:

lobunker said...

you are doing a terrific job-keep it up