Thursday, May 26, 2011

My father's birthday

I just realized that today would have been Gary 'R' Ostler's 83rd birthday if he were still with us. He has been gone a long time having passed away just months before his 50th birthday. He starting slipping away years before his death. I've often wondered what it would have been like to have a physically strong and strapping father in our home. How might that have changed the dynamics of our family?

I do know that he married well and loved his family. I know that having to physically care for him made his children empathetic and kind. It also made them rely on each other and made them willing to do their part. We watched our mother and marveled at her strength and tenacity.

I love this boyhood picture of my dad in his overalls. I look at him and see my childhood freckles, glasses, and dark hair. I miss you dad and I look forward to meeting you again.

2 comments:

Avis La Fin said...

The picture reminds me of Eric!

Unknown said...

I miss my dad.. :(