Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I love Thanksgiving because it is full of family, food, and my favorite fall things. It feels so good to think about what one has instead of what one wants. Blessings are acknowledged and gratitude expressed. What more could one ask for?

I had the privilege of visiting Ruby's 1st grade class as they presented a little program about Thanksgiving and then shared a meal with their families. As a part of the program, each child told of one thing for which they were thankful. My sweet Ruby was thankful for her family, not her dog or her wii or her bedroom. I was thankful for Ruby sharing the true love of her little heart.

Tonight the pomegranate beating crew arrived.

In no time at all, they had knocked loose the golden seeds of 15 pomegranates.

At the end, we calculated that we had freed at least 1000 pomegranate seeds which would surely make enough salad for 18 people after we added diced apples and bananas, walnuts, and whipped cream.

Heather was ready to tackle a few more. I told her I would have her come later to help me get the remaining pomegranates seeded and in the freezer. Thank you Bunker family for gifting us with a pomegranate tree start those many years ago and then passing on the tradition of pomegranate salad for Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow I am expecting the mashed potatoes, green bean snapping, and roll shaping crew that is Nate and Nichelle. The Palmer family will arrive with the stuffing and yams. Sally will keep it healthy bringing a fresh veggie tray after running the Turkey Trot. We will be off to Eric's home after dinner for pies and Julianna's birthday celebration. I also heard that Grandpa Glen has Bingo planned as well.

The turkey and I will be going solo. I'll be out first thing in the morning cutting fresh herbs from the garden to make it extra delish. There is an abundance of thyme!

1 comment:

lobunker said...

Hi Laurel, this is Lowell. Lynette showed me your blog with the pomegranate pictures and comments. It made my day!! It is wonderful to hear that you have made this a tradition and fascinating to know what has become from a little seedling from Bunkerville, NV. Happy belated Thanksgiving and many more to come with pomegranate salad!!