Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Great Granny Squared UFO


Yes, I did manage to finish my UFO for April as part of the All People Quilt UFO (Unfinished Objects) challenge by the end of April.  The binding happened while traveling, but it happened.  I quilted this top on my sewing machine and it took some time.  I love its crinkle look after washing and drying it.


It will be a great pop of color in the smaller quest room with all of its browns.


This room gets used more in the summer when the grand kids come for visits.


This pattern comes from Lori Holt's book "Great Granny Squared" and she included directions for a label for the back, so I did it all.  I made this quilt from 2 layer cakes of Lori's Vintage Modern line as well as two yards of her "fat quarter" fabric which has four different fat quarter like prints per yard.  See more here.

I was going to use Kona White for the backing as I had for the front.  But when Lori's Flower Patch fabric line came out, I just had to use the pink background fabric for the backing instead.


The mini has been on the wall for awhile.


I made it from the left over fabric from my Great Granny project.  The pattern can be found in "101 Fabulous Small Quilts" compiled by The Patchwork Place.  I enlarged the applique piece to 125% and used all pinwheel blocks for the surrounding border.

I am now working on the #12 from the list for May.  It is a Christmas quilt.

No comments: