Thursday, January 15, 2015

111 Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks finished!!


For the last year I have been working on the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt using the rotary cutting instructions posted on Craftsy by Karen Walker.  Each month there would be a new pattern set available to make about 10 more 6 1/2 inch blocks.  The above set of blocks are from Class 11.


The book includes 111 block patterns.  As Karen led us through the year, she would group block sets according to like techniques.  As she got to the end, the last few blocks would have to be made using templates or paper piecing.  Karen was offering a dozen look like blocks using her rotary cut methods.  I really struggled with which way to go, true to book or rotary cut like the rest.  Finally, I realized that the book had been the guide but the methods used very different so I opted to stay with Karen to the end.  The above are the blocks I selected from the 12 she offered.  It was a bit of a challenge as my fabric stack was getting thin.  There were generous amounts of the "fruit" fabrics from the Pickett Fence by Chloe for Moda fabric line I had been using, so I used it for many of these blocks but they will be scattered throughout the quilt.


This is what 111 blocks look like bundled in tens and laid in a row.  I have Kona Snow under the blocks which I will use it for sashing and the blue yardage will be used for the cornerstones and an accent border.


The busy block at the front stands alone as a group of one.


I am excited to see how this quilt top comes together.  Those blocks have been a year long labor of love.

1 comment:

Laugh Yourself into Stitches said...

Hi Laurel,
It's Karen Walker...
from the Farmer's Wife Classes.
I stumbled upon your blog tonight and took some time looking over your lovely blocks!

With your permission, may i use some of most of your block photos? I'd love to share them again the facebook group and on my Instagram. I tried looking you up on our Farmer's Wife Facebook group, but did not find you...and i don't see an email listed on your blog. I hope this message finds you....and finds you well.
Thank you Laurel for plowing your way through all those blocks! You did an amazingly beautiful job.
My email is chezstitches@gmail.com
If you receive this message, you can respond to me there if you have time.
Thank you!
~karen