Monday, September 23, 2013

September sewing projects


I finished my final block for "The Night Before Christmas" quilt early.  The plan was to do a block each month and to finish all 9 by the end of September. Done!  Now to assemble the blocks and add the border.  I have really enjoyed this project.


My sweet little grand daughter turns one soon.  A year ago I was making bedding for her crib.  This year I decided to make her a larger size quilt with the leftover fabrics.  This took some planning.  This is the label I made for the back of the quilt using yet again the leftovers from the new quilt.


I love the alphabet options on my new Bernina 750.


I did purchase this pink dot blender fabric for the background and the back.  I purchased all that was left on the bolt.  It was not enough so I had to get creative with the quilt back, but I made it work.  This is the most piecing I have ever done on a back.  It made me think - hard.


Here is the front.


I always pictured pinwheels for this leftovers quilt.  I loosely followed an American Jane pattern.  Those are 11 inch pinwheels. They alternate with a pink and a very light lavender pinwheel background.


I had just enough of this print for the border.  The bright pinky purple background pinwheels ended up on the back.  I also used it for the 1/2 inch stop border and it will also be the binding.  I knew right away that  pinky purple pinwheels would demand the show if on the front.  I marked the top this morning and hope to do the machine quilting later today.  The quilt is 62 inches square.


I also finished my Saturday Sampler square in a square blocks for September.  Can't wait to see how they are finally used.  I am also thrilled today to have all the windows open.  The invigorating cool fall air is divine and the grass on the mountains is golden this morning.  Life is good!

No comments: