Saturday, December 17, 2011

37 years ago today

On December 17, 1974 Glen took me from Provo to Salt Lake City to see the Christmas lights on Temple Square. We were BYU students just finishing up finals and preparing to return to our perspective homes for the holidays.

Glen led me to the Visitor's Center and then up the winding ramp which leads to the Christus statue that is visible through the upper windows in this picture.

He then sat with me on this bench and handed me a small gift wrapped box. I took my time opening it (perhaps my intuition told me what was in the box :) and by the time I had unwrapped my gift and opened the box to find a diamond ring we were no longer alone.

And that is why Glen asked me to marry him in front of a group of strangers who were on a tour. Although they did not know us, they still clapped their approval.

We were young and so in love. It's been a wonderful life, though not without its ups and downs, and I can't imagine spending those years with anyone else. Thanks for asking Glen Jay!

1 comment:

Cire said...

Toby even recognized both of you in the old picture! I'm glad the strangers clapped in approval and kept you both progressing so you could have me next!

Oh, and Susan says that when Julianna says "Grandpa" that she is actually referring to "Grandma" lots of the time (she also uses she/her for TJ/Toby).