Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Leaves of gold along the Rio Grande

I flew from Salt Lake City to Albuquerque before flying on home to Phoenix. It was a wonderful four days with my son, Ryan, and his wife, Emilia. It was a delight to realize that I had once again landed in autumn splendor. Emilia and I drove a mile or so from their home to walk the banks of the Rio Grande River.

It was an unexpected treat to walk under these massive trees.

It was a gusty day and leaves of glittering gold swirled to the ground.

As the water flowed south, so did flocks of migrating birds and the air was filled with their bird calls.

As we traveled about the next few days this flowing water snaked through the desert marked by groves of golden trees.

From a distance it seemed to be a path of gold.

A perfect path to walk with my lovely daughter-in-law, Emilia.

It was a special gift, those dancing leaves and time to talk.

And just on the other side of the trees. . .

farmland nourished by the water of the Rio Grande.

1 comment:

Vagabond Mother said...

New Mexico has a very cool sense of history and a pretty landscape. We loved our visit there too, but looks like you got the best season! I would love to go to the balloon festival one year with my children.