Tuesday, November 15, 2011

5 more Civil War blocks

42 H is for Hospital
While in Utah, I picked up a few more fat quarters. One of those was the blue Barbara Brackman designed fabric which forms the "H." I thought it important that I include some fabric designed by the author of Civil War Quilts in my quilt blocks. I tried to pick a fabric which would go well with those that I was already using.

(This block really is square. This is how it looks when the camera is not right on :)

43 Right Hand of Friendship
I liked the way the corners looked with stripped fabric on the diagonal. The sample block used stripped fabric this way and I followed suit.

44 Union
I have been using some other fabrics by Barbara Brackman for Marcus Brothers. The large floral in the center as well as the fine figured fabric on the outside edge are part of her Lewis and Clark fabric line from 2003. I thought that the Lewis and Clark fabric went well with the reproduction fabric.

45 Port and Starboard
I liked how the center block was different than the rest on the sample block, so did the same.

46 Apple Tree
One of my new fat quarters was the fabric with the red berries or maybe they are apples. I decided to call them apples. I haven't used any greens in any of my blocks, so I decided to use the foliage parts of the Lewis and Clark large floral fabric. I have used that fabric for most of the blocks which have a center floral motif and my fat quarter is full of holes from the fussy cutting. I was delighted to find enough fabric pieces to cut these four blocks. The brown fabric used for the trunk was also part of my new purchases.

I'm starting to think about of how can put the blocks together into a quilt. Barbara Brackman's blog recently included a post showing what others are doing. Just 7 more Saturdays in 2011, thus 7 more blocks to go!

3 comments:

Betty Lou said...

Your blocks are lovely, nice choice of fabrics. Love the corner squares in Right Hand of Friendship. It is hard to believe that we are coming to the end of our quilt-a-long, hope B. Brackman has something new in store for us.

Trucos caseros para cuidar la piel said...

You made some respectable points there. I seemed on the web for the difficulty and found most people will go along with with your website.

Ideas para reformar la cocina said...

Well carried out! I would really be happier individual if everyone wrote also as you do. Thanks once more