Friday, January 28, 2011

Just like grandma? or not!

Here I am as a 2nd grader, a very sneaky 2nd grader. When I couldn't make out what was written on the chalk board, I positioned myself so that I could copy my neighbor's work. When the annual eye exams came around, I positioned myself so that I could memorize the order of the letters on the eye chart before it was my turn.

Why all this sneakiness? Because I was also a very vain little 2nd grader who did not want to wear eye glasses, ever! I'm sure that the teacher was on to me in the classroom and wondered at my ability to chant my way through the chart. Her solution, "Please ask her to read the service station sign across the street." She won for I could not do it and soon I was the owner of glasses which certainly cleared up my world. Today, I could not readily find a picture of me wearing those glasses.

Now my granddaughters are following in my steps, except that their sneakiness may be in the opposite direction. Heather's parents were afraid that she just wanted glasses because they were "cool" when she began complaining about being able to see clearly. I'm not sure about that as she seems to remember to wear them all the time. Here she is eight months ago observing her new cousin, Oscar.

This week 2nd granddaughter, Ruby, has a new pair of glasses. Her parents are afraid that she was complaining of her eye sight so that she could have glasses like cousin, Heather. She's the youngest 1st grader in her class so it's been an eventful week; new eye glasses and the loss of her first tooth.

Ruby's picture taken by her sweet mom.

4 comments:

laraine@eddfam.com said...

She lost one accessory and gained another.

Susan said...

The thing about these two is that they're both so scary smart they could probably get away with just about anything they wanted to. It's a good thing they're such good-hearted little girls :)

Heather has been remarkably responsible with her glasses. I'm sure Ruby will be, too. It's adorable that Ruby wants to be just like Heather. The girls' little friendship is so cute - I love that they're close!

Avis La Fin said...

Heather looks a lot like her Grandma Jensen.

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.