Thursday, January 20, 2011

Provo Tabernacle

I noticed on my sidebar that the LDS Church had released a statement regarding the Provo Tabernacle. During this month's trip to Utah, we made a point of going to see the a damaged Tabernacle after the nighttime fire which occurred following last month's trip. The interior damage has been removed leaving behind a shell. It felt so odd to be able to look right through the windows to the other side. How hard it must have been for Europeans during WWII too watch their historical buildings being bombed.

Workmen were on site and the perimeter was secured. The street just south of the Tabernacle has been closed to vehicular traffic.

I, like so many others, loved this building. I loved its old world charm. It was substantial and it felt like it had always been there. In the American West, those kind of places are few.

It will be interesting to learn what choices will be made for the Provo Tabernacle's future. My past includes memories of attending church services as a young mother balancing her first baby on her lap and of special programs through the years.

This is the post fire picture I saw that squeezed my heart. There was a great deal of famous art work destroyed in the fire. However, firemen were amazed to find this picture of Christ.

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

I too remember holding babies through stake conferences in that building, and going to concerts.

As for bombed out churches, I think it is time you go to Europe. You'd love it!

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.