Friday, February 19, 2010

White dresses

Tomorrow morning we have a very special appointment at the temple. Miss Julianna Marie will be sealed to her family for time and all eternity.

Tomorrow afternoon we have another very special event to attend. Miss Heather Laurel, who turned "8" in January, will be baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

While my body recovers I have been working on a special white dress for each of them. Tonight, just after sunset, I hemmed the dresses and sent them on their way for the big day tomorrow. It will be a very special day, a double bonus day!

Julianna dress has big puffy sleeves. She looks like an angel in her dress.

I started hand smocking her dress way back in November, thinking that she might be going to the temple shortly after her first birthday. However, her adoption did not become final until the first week of February. Of course, that gave me permission to procrastinate sewing her dress together.

Heather's dress was hand smocked and sewed together this month of recovery. Her uncle Nate helped me put both the front and back fabric panels through the pleater.

Her dress has smocking all the way around. I used the same smocking design for both dresses.

I picked a pattern for Heather that looked older. It looks great on her. Both dresses have the same decorative edging with entreduex through which I wove floss for a special finished look.

It's been my pleasure to create white dresses for two special girls for their very special days!

4 comments:

Cire said...

awesome! we're excited, thank you!

Vagabond Mother said...

Beautiful work, Mom. We are excited for their big day today. Take pictures!

larainydays said...

They are absolutely beautiful. You have created heirlooms for your granddaughters.

Susan said...

Thanks for the pictures, Laurel. I think they turned out well despite the crazy wind, antsy children and my "wardrobe malfunction." Thanks for the dresses and everything else. Love you!