Friday, February 5, 2010

Wear red today

The "Wear Red" campaign has suddenly reached my consciousness this year. The above picture is a pretty good representation of my week. Late Monday afternoon, this is what happened to me! As I tried to figure out what to do and how concerned I should be, Glen came home from work, googled "women heart attack symptoms" and decided that we were going to the ER now. After EKG's and a CT scan and multiple needle stabs to check my heart enzymes, I was given the all clear and discharged from the hospital with everyone from Glen, to the nurses, to the discharge doctor giving me their opinion. (The discharge doctor's opinion was the most bizarre and included the advice to dispose of all my peanut butter and honey :) Where is Dr. House when you really need him?

It could be a funny story if it hadn't been so scary and painful and distressing. Yes, I'm grateful that all tests were negative and that I was surrounded by family members who could give me a priesthood blessing, but it has given me pause. So ladies, remember that you only have one heart and that it is the leading killer of women; more die from heart disease than all forms of cancer each year.

To all of you who showed that you cared and enquired about me, I thank you. To my children who rushed to lend support, I thank you. To my sisters who surrounded me in person and by cell phone, I thank you. To my Relief Society sisters, including Becky and Emilia, who filled in for me on the night of a Stake Relief Society meeting, I thank you. To my sweet husband who supports me always, I thank you.

As my granddaughters, Ruby and Sadie rode up and down with me on my hospital bed, I realized that I am a blessed woman who has more blessings than I can truly enumerate.

Emilia took pictures of the RS meeting and the basil. Thanks Emilia for delivering the plants and documenting the evening for me! Don't smirk when you see the night's theme!

3 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Love you mom, so glad you are well. Thank you for sharing your experience. It has changed my perspective on a lot of things. You are the world to me! Talk to you soon.

j said...

Oh Laurel you are so cute!! I'm so happy that you are home. It was quite a shock for me and I just want to let you knoe how special you are for all of us. I made sure to get some pictures for you at the activity. I felt like I was a professional photographer lolololo everybody was asking me "are you the photograper" lololo I'm glad the pictures make you almost feel like you were there. The video i told you I couldn't make it download. I think is too heavy but i'll bring it over. See ya tomorrow!!!!!

Miriam Ika Marshall said...

i am so sorry!! and yes, ER docs have the most amazing D/C orders.. i know from working there.. My mom had the same symptoms and ended up getting her gallbladder out.. I am so glad you are ok and you had family there.. tell uncle nelge good job on getting you to the ER!! that is the best thing for chest pain!! I love you guys and i am so glad you are home!!