Sunday, April 12, 2009

Reflections on Easter Sunday

Resurrection
Photograph by Mark Mabry
from his book
"Reflections of Christ"

This morning when I partook of the sacrament, my heart was filled with love for the Savior - so full that I felt a need to share my testimony of Him. I know that Jesus Christ came to live on earth to minister and teach and show complete and perfect love for mankind. I have felt of the blessing of His atoning sacrifice both as one who has fallen short and as one who has felt great pain through the actions and choices of others. I can't explain exactly how the atonement works, but I have truly felt Christ with me as I have been freed from sorrow both as one repenting and as one needing to forgive. I also know that He truly knows me and my circumstances and that when I gain full confidence in Him and lay my burdens at His feet, He blesses me and my family in ways I could not have imagined. His perfect love has buoyed me up and helped me to love and minister to others. It has provided me great peace. On this Easter Sunday, I also marvel at the resurrection and the gift of eternal life.

Each time I read the Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ, I find joy in His great mission. I especially love 3rd Nephi when the Savior comes to the Americas after His resurrection and ascension to His Father. While nursing baby Nathan, I determined to read the Book of Mormon as I sat quietly with him in my bedroom. As I read of the Savior ministering to the people and especially His great love for the children while holding my baby, the tears just flowed. My heart was full of love and great tenderness, just as it is this day. Since that experience, the tears always flow when I read 3rd Nephi. My testimony continues to be strengthened each time I read.

Last week I finished my first ever reading of "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage, the 1967 version leather bound and presented to Glen by the Hawthorne Ward before he left on his mission. I love books that display a history of the reader or readers. It was a pleasure to see what Glen had underlined or starred as he read. I loved his written notes in the margins. Most of all, I loved this detailed account of the life of the Savior with the many footnotes providing so much background information. I have also been blessed as I have attended the Mesa East Stake adult education class on Thursday mornings this school year as we have been lead by Joyce Wold in our study of the New Testament. As I come to know and learn more of the Savior, His life, and His mission; my heart can barely contain the great love I feel for my Elder Brother.

Glen and I wanted our children and their families to have a framed print of "Resurrection" by Mark Mabry for their home this Easter as a reminder of the great gifts provided by our Father in Heaven through His Son. He lives!

2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Thank you so much for the picture, we haven't had a picture of Christ up since we moved from Utah, and it really changes the atmosphere of our living/kitchen/dining/office room. What a room!

You'll have to stop by and see it sometime.

Thank you for making Easter so special this weekend. Easter dinner was amazing.

Cire said...

The leftovers were gone yesterday . . . and I'm still craving more :)

I had the thought at the Pageant that I need to read Talmage's book again - glad you enjoyed it

Sorry we forgot our framed pic - I truly am excited for it!

Thanks!