Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Heather's dress and friendship

On one of my many trips to Provo (perhaps the one when Raymond was born) I found myself at Borders. As I cruised an unfamiliar store I passed the magazine rack which I usually ignore at home. This caught my eye, an eye which couldn't believe what it had found. A high quality magazine devoted to smocking with complete patterns for each project along with gorgeous photography. "Australian Smocking & Embroidery" magazine became my new delightful pleasure. When I returned home and went online to subscribe, I felt really cheated that this magazine had been in existence so long without my knowledge. This led to the purchase some back issues as well. Now I anxiously await the delivery, from far away Australia, of my copy of this magazine each quarter. I have used it to create blessing gowns and rompers. That first magazine cover also prompted me to make this beautiful dress for Heather. It was my first attempt to smock and sew silk and the magazines multi-sized patterns allowed me to procrastinate finishing it for a couple of years before it finally became Heather's Easter dress.

I first learned to smock while a young mother in Bountiful. One of the blessings of my life occurred with the arrival of two other young mothers in the two houses across the street. We created a triangle of friendship and love and babysitting and support. I honestly don't know how I would have made it through newborns and toddlers, breast infections, knee surgery and everyday lack of adult conversation without these two beautiful women. Sharon also became my inspiration for painting and sewing myself out of the mundane of everyday. She fueled my passion for decorative painting and English smocking. She passed on what she learned at her painting lessons (and even some woodworking) and patiently taught me how to smock clothing like they do in the South. She was my Georgia peach and far better than a breath of sunshine.

Robert and Sharon Starling, Cindy and Charlie Skewes
Bountiful, Utah house about 1979
(Ignore Cindy's tongue - she was always creating waves)

Sharon recently tracked me down on my Facebook account created for me by my daughter. (My daughter-in-law created this blog for me as a birthday present - the present that keeps on giving.) It felt so good to be in touch again, but I also found myself regretting the years spent out of touch. Our children had grown, grand babies been born, and we had aged without each other. Where were the blogs and instant messaging when we could have used them? So, after I publish this post, I will then go on Sharon's wall and tell her to check out pictures of the dress I created because of her gentle guidance years ago. I will share with my friend.



2 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

You have some pretty detailed talents, Mom. Thanks for making Henry's blessing outfit. I wonder how many outfit/dresses you have smocked since you learned how.

I hope you reconnect with your friend again.

Susan said...

Heather adores her Easter dress. She wanted to wear it again this Sunday, but we decided that if she wore it EVERY Sunday it might get worn out. We'll take more pictures next week - hopefully with fewer bangs!

Thanks so much for making it for her. It's beautiful!