Monday, September 14, 2015

Quilts as art


At the end of August, my sister and I stopped in Brigham City, Utah on our way to Idaho.  We drove through the cemetery where ancestors are buried, drove through neighborhoods looking at old houses, and stopped to take a walk around the fairly new Brigham City Temple.


It is directly to the west of this building, the Brigham City Tabernacle which was built in the late 1890's and is on the National Historic Register.  I love this unique building.


Notice the texture of stone and red brick with stand out mortar.


After lunch at Maddox Ranch House, we returned to downtown Brigham City and the Museum of Art and History which is located in the basement of the Senior Center.  From July 1 - August 29, 2015 the "International Quilt Invitational Exhibition" was on display.  It was spectacular!  One knows they are fine company when a quilt or two is labeled "one of the 100 best quilts of the 20th Century."  These were quilts of art.  This quilt was in the lobby as one entered the museum.


I loved the story and I loved that fabric and trims can be used to create a portrait.


They can also be used to create a landscape like this one with a myriad of fabric pieces.


I really enjoyed the charming quilts where fabric and embroidery were combined to create this magical land of children and seasons.


They emerged from the ground in Spring . . .


where it was summer . . .


and then Fall and Winter.


The second quilt was an ode to the Christmas holiday.


So charming and full of Christmas cheer and hospitality.


There is order in the universe and in this circle of flowers.


The black background of this quilt really made the colorful blooms stand out.


A entire garden complete with insects all in fabric and thread.


This beautiful quilt was the one which I felt that I could actually make in the future.  That is the applique, I'm not sure that I will ever be able to hand quilt like this quilt has been hand quilted.  It was also the quilt that I might want to display in my home.

The exhibit was definitely worth the drive north and it was interesting to see this show with the work of some of the world's best quilters after visiting the Springville Museum Art Show of local quilters the week before.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Amazing quilts! I can definitely see the last one hanging in your house. I love its quiet, whimsical elegance.