Thursday, October 13, 2011

Autumn flowers


The first week of August I gathered up all the packets of sunflower seeds I could find and planted any remaining seeds in pots where geraniums had long since given up. I knew there were still many days of 1oo + degree days but thought I could try for some autumn type flowers anyway.


My ratio of flowers to seeds planted was low, but at least a few brave ones made it through two very hot months.

The butterflies and bees have been ecstatic.

I've just enough fall color to keep me happy.

Indeed, the sunflowers are making me very happy. One BIG one has yet to bloom. Can't wait to what it looks like.

I didn't plant this beauty from seed. Heather gave it to her grandpa several years ago in a gallon pot for his birthday. Once Glen re potted it into a bigger pot it has grown nicely. I count that color of orange as a bit of Fall as well.

I'm growing (sewing) yellow blooms inside as well. This is one of the first blocks for the "Aunt Grace's Garden Party Quilt" that I'm working on.


This is a block of the month quilt, but it really works out as a strip or row of the month. I am trying to get this row of ten flowers completed before the next directions arrive any day. And these are not the only flowers I have been working on. I've replanted the window box, some pots, and baskets in annuals this week. More importantly, I have all my heirloom tomatoes in the ground! Welcome to Fall (more like Spring) in Arizona.

No comments: