Monday, March 7, 2011

Immigration and my state and state of mind

Seriously, I am completing a draft that has been on my post list since 11/18/10. It was really important to me that I get it right. I'm deleting most of it because things here in Arizona have only become more raw, more upsetting since November.

Some Arizonans take great pride in being a part of the rough and tumble Old West which is a part of our heritage. Historical sites include Tombstone and historical cavalry forts from Indian war days. They also include ruins left by the people who built homes and fortifications in the sides of cliffs thousands of years ago. And midway in time between Tombstone and Montezuma Castle, one can visit the ruins of Spanish colonial missions including San Xavier del Bac built in the late 1600's which is still a living vital center of worship outside of Tucson.

Arizona became a territory of the United States after the Mexican War in 1848. Some of my ancestors helped finalize that war as they marched as part of the Mormon Battalion through southern Arizona in 1846 - 47. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo was a bit fuzzy about the new border, so the Gadsen Purchase was ratified in 1854 after the purchase of the land south of the Gila River to the present border for $10,000,000. (I often wondered why they didn't negotiate that line a bit further south giving Arizona an ocean port near present day Rocky Point.)

Fort Tucson was built in the 1775, Arizona became a relatively new state in 1912, and Mesa where I live was founded by Mormon pioneers beginning in 1877 on land laced with an ancient canal system built by the Hohokam over 2000 years ago. That extensive canal system was the basis for the present one which allows for the habitation of this valley which receives only about 7 inches of rain per year.

Why the history? Arizona has been home to many different people for thousands of years. However, most of them came after the invention of central air conditioning in the 1950's. Thus, if you ever take a moment to read the obituary page, most births for those listed occurred somewhere besides Arizona. My youngest son is the only native Arizonan in our family having been born in Mesa. Those who count themselves as several generation Arizonans often take great pride in the fact. All Arizonans had someone who immigrated to Arizona at some point in time.

Immigration in Arizona has become one of international scope and interest because of immigration law SB 1070 passed last year. I had hoped that it would not pass. There are many in Arizona who hoped it would. But there were also many who hoped it would not. Now a new Arizona Senate president has proposed slew of new laws which are even more repressive. My concern is that because he is a "Mormon" some feel that all of his faith must feel as he does. That is not so.

My feelings are more in line with the Utah Compact. Here is the text of the Compact. There is a more humane way to approach this problematic issue. I feel that much of what has occurred in my state has more to d0 with retaining power and control.

When trying to understand a situation, I most often try to place myself in the shoes of those I am trying to understand. I know that my husband and myself would try to do whatever possible to make things better for our children and family. By the grace of God, we were born on the northern side of the border so I don't really know if we might have ventured a trek, risking our lives, across the desert. But I think we, or at least he, might.

I posted earlier about the privilege I had of hearing Condeleezza Rice at a BYU Forum in January. She also spoke of the importance of the Log Cabin Myth or our national myth that even those born in a log cabin (ie., Abraham Lincoln) can make a successful life for themselves in the United States. She spoke about immigration making the United States great. She said that there is an energy and constant renewal which comes through immigration. The Log Cabin Myth attracts those who have much to share and to give to our country.

We are a nation of immigrants. We are often interested in and amazed at the place of birth of our ancestors. As a child, I loved my great-grandma Lucy who had immigrated as a little girl by ship from Scotland. My life has been enriched by those who have been added to my family circle by marriage who immigrated from a different land.

The bottom line: Yes, we need immigration reform which would include an easier path to lawful immigration, but must we be so unkind and even hateful as we do so.

The real bottom line: We are all God's children and he loves us, everyone! Are we not then asked to love all as well?

Please read this article in the March 2011 Ensign. I heard Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi speak in person at a stake conference in August 2009. His is an amazing story. This article will touch your heart.

2 comments:

healthy vending said...

Thanks for share your thoughts I hope and I'm sure so many people think like you like me; our world will change soon
Ferries to France

laraine@eddfam.com said...

I hope Mesa will sign on to the Utah contract. Thanks for your articulate thoughts. Amen