Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sober thoughts

Life really can change in a minute. Nichelle left for work Monday morning and not even five minutes later Nate received a phone call from a sobbing hysterical wife. She was certain that her baby was no more. Thankfully, that turned out not to be true. But, instead of a routine week of work and settling into a new house followed by a fun trip to San Diego for a baby shower, Nichelle spent two days in the hospital monitoring her baby boy followed by a oral surgeon visit which basically closed her mouth for weeks. When the air bag deployed, it broke her jaw. Certainly not the way one would prefer to spend her last five weeks of pregnancy.

It's been a tough year for we Jensen women. It started with a thyroid biopsy for Susan followed by a thyroidectomy and diagnosis of cancer which has been treated with radioactive iodine. February brought my own health crisis and gall bladder surgery. And now we pray for Nichelle and her little one. I keep reminding myself that life is a series of lessons which help us reach our true potential and teach us to have empathy for others. As a mother, I also better understand a loving Father in Heaven who gave His Son to help us survive our mortal life journey and I have empathy for how hard it must be for Him to watch us in our struggles.


Glen's been gone for a little over an hour and it will be a week before I see him again. I already miss him and he has called me two times. It makes me wonder how it's possible for Brad Baker to deal with his separation from his sweet Sara. He talks a bit about it here.

Faith enables one to become stronger as they take simple steps forward, one day (even hour) at a time. Just remember to keep moving with gratitude for every little blessing! Every one!

2 comments:

larainydays said...

Poor Nichelle. I hope things improve and that the last weeks are uneventful!

Susan said...

Good thing we Jensen women are tough :) I'm especially glad that Nichelle and the baby are okay and very sad for Brad and Sara ... even though I don't know them well, my heart breaks for the family ...