Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ryan's Velva

This morning shortly before nine, I was handed the Sacrament Meeting program. As I took my seat and looked at the cover I saw in bold letters the date, October 12, 2008 and I realized that my mother had passed away nine years prior on this date. It was a great day of baby blessings, sincere testimonies, and talk of ministering angels and mortal angels as Bro. Jeffery Holland's conference talk of last weekend was remembered. Velva was my mortal angel and is now my ministering angel. She still lifts me up as I remember her advice (which was rarely given but always imparted with great wisdom) and ponder on her life of example and great fortitude. And in rare, quiet moments I feel her near me and I receive comfort and strength.

My son, Ryan, created this portrait of my mother from her last formal picture. It was a photo which I buried in a drawer for it brought me pain in her last years of dementia. The eyes did not seem to be her eyes. Ryan used his art and helped me look at it another way. Now her soul speaks to me of enduring 'til the end and of life sometimes being hard but always worth it. I am so blessed to know of the "Plan of Happiness" and the eternal joys it offers.

2 comments:

B.B. Thorley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vagabond Mother said...

Time goes by fast. I remember the date too, bu I just can't believe it was that long ago now. She was a saint.