Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm becoming my mother

Heather experienced a solo "grandkid sleepover" on Friday night. She brought two counted cross stitch kits with her. Her request, "Grandma, can you show me how to do this?" Wow, I thought, you are only six. This takes fine motor skills, threading needles, counting stitches, following a charted picture with symbols for different colors, and concentration. Then I remembered Velva patiently showing Janae how to do counted cross stitch 20 years ago and answered, "Yes, I can."

I quickly remembered that Heather is one of my little left-handed sweeties. "It's okay Grandma, I can use both hands. I can do it like you." So, she's ambidextrous at this age just like her Aunt Janae. (Janae, does it still work that way for you?) We proceeded. She was amazing. She watched carefully. She was soon threading her own needle. She counted carefully and marked off the boxes carefully as she progressed row by row. She got it, she loved it, and she stayed with it. I will never doubt her again.

3 comments:

j said...

That' so cute!! You're a nice gradma Laurel. Heather is pretty smart too. ANd the fact she is left handed just makes her even smater. My mom is one of those special ones. Love you Laurel!! ANd thanks again for commenting on my blog. Say "Hi" to Glen for me : )

Vagabond Mother said...

I haven't cross-stitched for a few years, and I'm very careful never to finish anything I start.

Heather continues to amaze.

Susan said...

Thanks so much for taking her, Laurel. She loved having all of your attention for her very own.

One thing I've learned about Heather is that she is as stubborn as the day is long. If she wants to do something, by golly, she will. The child absolutely does not take no for an answer. Why do all these traits - which can be so trying at times - just make me love her more??